Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A midwife- myths and misconceptions

So each time I tell someone that we have decided to have all of our prenatal care and delivery with a midwife I get some interesting looks and comments. Let me clear up a few things
  • No-we are not having a home birth
  • Yes-she is licensed - she even works out of a hospital with "real" doctors in the same practice, she is extensively trained as a Certified Nurse Midwife
  • No-she does not wear birkenstocks or dreadlocks
  • Yes-I can have an epidural or other type of pain relief if I need or want to during delivery
  • No-I am not crazy, I actually think this is a very rational and good choice for us
  • Yes-this is a slightly less intervention-y choice- and Yes that is what we want
  • No- don't have to skip ultrasounds or other prenatal testing-all of that is provided right in the office- including a 3D/4D ultrasound
  • Yes-this is great prenatal care-and I get to see the same provider for all of my prenatal appointments and really build a relationship (rather than meeting each doctor in a practice)
  • Yes-if all goes to heck and I need a C-Section- that can be done, but with 23 years of training and experience as a midwife she has a very low C-Section rate-which is also appealing. I would not have to leave the L&D floor or find a different practitioner- she will participate with one of the OBs in her practice to complete the C-Section

In my opinion one of the top ten reasons to pick my midwife over a traditional OB is their participation in the actual birth. My midwife may stay with me from transition on to delivery, she will be there to advocate strongly for the kind of birth that is important (but most importantly safe) for me and my baby. My previous OB shared that he only can attend about 75% to 80% of his patient's deliveries and he only attends for the actual time of delivery. My midwife is at greater than 85% of her patient's births (it would be more but she does take a vacation from time to time :) and does most of the checks throughout the labor process. She is a more active participant in labor and delivery. Gotta be honest- having never done this before I am happy about the idea of having someone with a couple of decades of experience present for most of the event. I love my dear hubby- but stress and unpredictable situations are not his forte- I think the midwife is the best choice for us- she may be busy calming both of us down :)

Any other questions about why we picked this route?

2 comments:

  1. one last question, if a midwife gets a divorce, is she a mid-exwife?

    sounds like you have made an excellent decision!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No-she does not wear birkenstocks or dreadlocks
    YES SHE DOES WEAR LONG DRESSES AN APRON AND A BONNET
    Yes-I can have an epidural or other type of pain relief if I need or want to during delivery
    SHE EVEN CARRIES "BITE" TOWELS IN HER WOODEN PAIL


    No-I am not crazy,
    UMM, YOU JUST KEEP TELLING YOURSELF THAT SWEETY...

    ReplyDelete