SOOO everyone said get to the 3rd week and things get better and easier- liars
I woke up on Monday- the day of my boy's 3 week birthday- with a fever of 102.8. That is REALLY high for an adult and I was SICK. Thankfully my mom, otherwise currently known as my hero, was able to get out of work at noonish and come help me. She schlepped me to see Cheri who diagnosed me with mastitis and was appalled at the state of my nipples- apparently they are more damaged than they should be. So off we went to see the breast specialist- who did ultrasounds on my breasts, confirmed the mastitis and referred us to both another lactation consultant and Grayson's pediatrician for a weight check.
Saw the LC, turns out our latch is all wrong (even though the first two LCs we saw said it looked great and it doesn't hurt), turns out my supply has been dropping since the latch is wrong, my kid is a lazy eater, my nipples are 'traumatized' and he isn't gaining weight. SOOOO new plan- I breastfeed him for 30 minutes, then I bottle feed him an ounce of my pumped milk to make sure he is full, then I pump milk to have for the next feeding- all while somehow sleeping and eating too. UMMMM yeah this is going to be tough- but it is what is best for my boy so this is what we are going to do.
Looking ahead to week 4... repeat visits with the breast specialist, the pediatrician for another weight check and phone dates with the lactation consultant. Reclaiming my sanity or getting sleep- not on the agenda but again- if this is what is best for our boy...this is what we will do
off to nap while he is!
Wow, you've been through a lot! I hope the new LC is the answer you need & I hope you feel better. Mastitis is NOT fun. You are doing an amazing job for Grayson!! He is so lucky to have you as his Mommy!!
ReplyDelete