Sunday, August 23, 2009

Changing Dates and 35.5 week Appointment

So after much discussion and deliberation we are switching our official estimated due date. There was some confusion in the beginning because of all the different ways these things can be determined so we were told to go with September 23rd. However my calculations say September 28th and our first two ultrasounds were "closer" to that than the 23rd as a due date. So after a conversation with Cheri (the midwife) we are officially calling the due date September 26 (based on averaging some things and well I don't know what else). That makes me happy because if this little man is 'overdue' there are three less days counting against him when they start talking induction. Induction is something we really want to avoid (of course assuming all is well and it is not truly medically necessary) and with a later due date we have a bit more wiggle room. According to my research most 1st babies arrive about 7-10 days after their due date, but often doctors get a little nervous right around that 7 day mark and start talking about induction. This 3 day shift of our due date makes it more likely that the Schmitzel will be able to pick his own birthdate and come when he is ready (don't get me wrong I will be encouraging him with whatever tools I have at my disposal :) not when a physician thinks he should be cooked enough. This means I will be changing the tickers at the top and bottom of the blog- it will look like we are going backwards!- and the "how many weeks pregnant" posts will be updated on Saturdays instead of Wednesdays- but that is a really good thing in the long run. Though to be honest with you if I am still pregnant in 7 or 8 weeks- my feelings on induction may change (don't think I will act on them but man that would be a long long time to still be pregnant ).

I saw Cheri today for my last every other week appointment- next week starts weekly appointments until the little man arrives (crazy since that means we are 9 months pregnant). All continues to be well, I have no signs of pre-eclampsia or any other end of pregnancy sickness. I gained about 1.5 pounds this time, my blood pressure was nice and low and I have no abnormal swelling so... things continue to be well. Cheri still thinks the little one is butt up (under my right ribs) and head down but he has not dropped or engaged yet so he can still swim about a bit- hopefully not enough to breech himself but enough the sometimes his head cracks my pelvic bone or a shoulder gets uncomfortable and I can still move around in ways to make him move around. His heartbeat was nice and strong at 148 bpm and I measured at 37 cm- two cm bigger than the last appointment. Thankfully there isn't much else to say - because it appears that all continues to be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment