Friday, September 25, 2009

39 and 6/7 weeks

So tomorrow is our due date. I am essentially 10 months pregnant and really loved most of it, but now I am ready to be done.
We had a fetal weight ultrasound on Wednesday because my midwife was a bit concerned about how fast my uterus was growing in these last weeks. Turns out the Schmitzel is about 8 lbs 1 oz, but what is growing is my level of amniotic fluid. Also turns out that is not a good thing. Polyhydramnios is an excess of amniotic fluid defined as a single pocket greater than 8 cm- mine is 9 cm. This can mean lots of stuff (don't google it- it can be upsetting) including some structural defect with our little man related to his upper GI tract (perhaps he cannot swallow) or his kidneys OR (and this is what I am praying for) it means nothing. Unfortunately there is no way to tell at this point if it is something or nothing (remember nothing is what we are all voting for). SOOOOOOOOOOO
We had an NST on Wednesday- he passed with 3 good heart accelerations in a few minutes, then back to the midwife on Thursday for a cervical check, conversation and yet another NST. Turns out I am 3-4 cm dilated, 75% effaced and at a +1 station- which may possibly mean I can go into labor on my own soonish or may mean nothing (there is a theme here you might notice). Cheri would prefer to induce us on Monday at 8 am but has told us it is totally up to us to make that decision. She cannot say that there is any proof he needs to get out, what she does say is that we have had an abnormal result and he is term so there would be harm to taking him out. BUT that means pitocen, constant monitoring, laboring in the hospital the whole time, lots of potential medication administration and a lot of other 'stuff' we would like to avoid. Please don't tell me none of that matters- I realize my ultimate goal is a healthy child who is here- I believe that limited medication administration is the best way to achieve that goal. I understand that things happen and I may have to change my plans- but please understand that my plans are well researched and supported by my husband and midwife.
I love my son too much already and want him here safely- and soon. I am praying that he is fine and this extra fluid thing is a 'benign incidental finding' as one physician said. If it is (which is MOST of the time) then there is no real medical reason to rush to induction. But we don't know (dangitall) so there is still a decision to be made
UNLESS
I go into labor on my own- so here I come pineapple, spicy food, evening primrose oil, walking, red raspberry leaf tea, some quality time with my hubby, bouncing on an exercise ball, acupressure, and ..... whatever else I can find
Anyone have any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. We're all praying you go into labor this weekend. Cleaning, organizing, packing stuff to give to AmVets or Good Will. That worked for me.
    Keep in mind, no matter what anyone says, this is your decision. You're his parents. You do what you believe is best. Other people, myself included, can tell you what we did or would do, but you're the only one who knows what you want for your child.

    Good luck! I'm thinking about you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete