Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Thank you Captains Obvious

Yep, still pregnant. Probably every time you see me in the school hallway this week or at the grocery store (strangers really?) I will still be pregnant. Odds are if I have recently or am actively giving birth- I won't be at work. Considering that our hospital is only 15 minutes away the odds of me being at work this week and not being pregnant anymore are pretty much- ummm zero.
I enjoy that my co-workers are so kind and interested, but I am running out of witty or even appropriate responses to the "oh my you are still here" statement. And here is the kicker- technically my due date is still 4 days away, and the average gestational age of first babies is 41 weeks 1 day- which would be October 4th. Is it possible that I will have to kindly respond to the "wow you are still here" statement for nearly 2 more weeks? Yep- that is entirely possible. In fact if this kid pushes his luck- in theory I could listen to this for nearly 3 more weeks since most of the time induction isn't appropriate in my midwife's practice until 42 weeks. That would be something.
If I didn't want to hang out with my kid so much after he was born I would consider cutting out of work on Thursday and going back after winter break, but since I anticipate really liking him I will go every day until he arrives so that I can spend all of my 6 weeks and then 30 work days home with him.

1 comment:

  1. maybe the comment, "oh you are still here" is not about the pregnancy, but more about how long it takes you to get out of a chair and waddle accross the room to transition elsewhere.

    OH YOU ARE STILL HERE IN THE OFFICE? YOU SAID GOODBYE 15 MINUTES AGO!

    ReplyDelete