Sunday, September 20, 2009

39 weeks

Due dates are more of a guideline than a specific target. Only one in 20 babies is born on his or her due date.
Apparently that statement just reinforces the fact that a lot of what we know about pregnancy is a lie. 9 months- lie. Due Date- lie.
But whatever- the baby is cooked and will make his debut when he is ready.
According to Babycenter.com "Your baby's waiting to greet the world! He continues to build a layer of fat to help control his body temperature after birth, but it's likely he already measures about 20 inches and weighs a bit over 7 pounds, a mini watermelon. (Boys tend to be slightly heavier than girls.) The outer layers of his skin are sloughing off as new skin forms underneath."
Hopefully this boy won't be too much heavier... I keep telling him he should be long and skinny so that delivery is easier:)
We have our fetal growth estimate ultrasound on Wednesday and will hopefully have a guesstimate of his size then. Who knows maybe he will make an appearance on his own by then- but I doubt it-- I still think he will come sometime after the end of this week. But after the ultrasound we may be encouraged to begin encouraging him to join us in the outside world- so it is entirely possible that black and blue cohash, pineapple, walking, evening primrose oil and more may be entering our lives next week.

2 comments:

  1. Try cleaning & organizing! That started my contractions. It was the same day I was being induced, but we got to go to the hospital 4 hours sooner.

    I hope your little man makes his appearance soon! I can't wait to meet him. Have you and Ry chosen his name yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jules- I am getting to the point where I am ready to be done so I am hoping he arrives fairly soon too

    No name yet- down to 2 choices- I like one better than the other, and Ry likes the other better than my one- but we both like them both so we figure we will decide when we meet him

    ReplyDelete