Monday, June 22, 2009

Schmitzel goes to a wedding



This past weekend was a whirlwind! My cousin Kelley got married in IL in what turned out to be a stunningly beautiful ceremony followed by a decadent and amazing reception.
The wedding weekend started with frantic phone calls from the bride about bridal party members stranded about the midwest due to flooding at Ohare (which was shut down) and tollways. Ryan and I ended up fetching a bridesmaid (I call her mine now) Katie who spent the day with us after she was stranded in Milwaukee on her way to Ohare for the wedding. So with a bridesmaid and a car full of stuff we headed to IL for the rehearsal- for which it turned out we were literally one of only 4 people on time. As we began rehearsing bridal party members eventually filtered in- visuals complete with a running maid of honor flying down the aisle carrying bouquets. Friday was perhaps the hottest and muggiest day ever (okay not true- but hottest and muggiest day I have ever had to stand outside practicing things in the sun in a dress- that part is true). So we stood and melted outside and practiced and then I went home to shower again (which didn't happen because I was enticed by the AC and the couch) before heading to the rehearsal dinner at the Cubby Bear North- yummy but still really warm.
Saturday dawned warm and sunny and stayed that way.

The ceremony was beautiful, the bride was stunning, my reading went well- though I did start to cry a couple times when I looked at the bride and my sister looked beautiful as maid of honor. The words throughout the ceremony were meaningful, their minister really took a lot of time to personalize the service, and can I just say again that the bride was stunning. Kelley and Mike looked so happy, and when she choked up saying her vows and he started to tear up a little bit- that pushed my whole row right over the edge- into very happy tears. The reception started awesome and continued that way. It was the first time I felt a little bummed about not drinking - the open bar was beautiful with all kinds of top shelf drinks and free flowing wine and champagne. But my uncle and cousin made sure that those of us that couldn't drink had more than enough to eat! Oh my goodness it never ended- literally we were eating until 1 am. The cocktail hour included sidewalk fries in paper cones, brie and raspberry fritters, crab and artichoke nibbles and about 10 more passed apps I can't think of. After being seated for dinner we were served a phenomenal duo of salad in a Parmesan cheese ring, then a lemon sorbet to cleanse the palate, then (oh I am still going) the most tender tenderloin and fluffy potatoes ever. Now you might think that would be enough food but oh no- it kept going. After dancing began a dessert bar opened that started with fresh fruit and 15 feet later ended with warm chocolate chip cookies and a milk fountain. Then to top it off after midnight a Chicago style hot dog cart arrived
with dogs and all the fixins served next to a buffet of pizza. Seriously- all in one night! So I did all the tasting and sampling and Ryan, my mom, my sister and my sister's boyfriend David did a good amount of drinking. We stayed and danced and had a blast until almost 2 am! It was lovely.
Sunday our whole family that was in town for the wedding met at the hotel for a breakfast hosted (once again generously) by my uncle. For the first time in years we had the chance to take a full family photo- aunts, uncles, kiddos and all!
It was an amazing but exhausting (and hot) weekend. It appears summer is finally here and Kelley and Mike's wedding was a great way to kick it off!
With all the dancing, and moving and standing and rushing around- the Schmitzel has been pretty quiet the last few days, but I am sure that as soon as I start to slow down he will perk up and keep me from resting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment