Monday, June 1, 2009

June!

In my head June is the start of summer. I have 12 days left of work until summer vacation, and in 3 months it will be September- which will be the month of the Schmitzel (assuming he follows directions and arrives on time).
I saw my midwife today- and was reminded just how much I love her. All is well with the kiddo, his heart beat is strong and steady and he is growing well. She measured my uterus at 26 cm which is 1-2 cm ahead of schedule- so essentially right on target. She also gave me the glucose laden drink to keep and consume before my next appointment for the testing for gestational diabetes. I have heard it tastes like flat, bad, orange soda and you cannot eat or drink anything (including water or gum) after you take it- yum yum. In addition to giving me gifts of nasty sugary drinks, Cheri gave me the paperwork to pre-register for hospital admission for delivery day and a checklist of what to include in our birth plan. UMMMMM pre-admission paperwork and birth plans- so not ready. Not only is he not cooked yet- but I am banking on the next 3-4 months (crazy that I am 6 months pregnant but still have 4 months to go- this gig is 10 months not 9 like I had been lead to believe:) to get all of his stuff ready and get Ryan and our home and myself ready.
The Schmitzel has been moving a lot more lately and the sensation has changed significantly. I can feel him rolling around, kicking or stretching and maybe even punching sometimes- ahh who knows... but it feels really cool. I smile every time I feel him move and feel so reassured when he is rolling around in there. It is amazing how much the sensations have changed since I first felt him 7 weeks ago. I can't wait to see how else it changes in the next few months- though I can't say I am looking forward to the times he is going to kick me in the ribs or kidneys but right now the harder he kicks the happier I am.
We are taking Bradley Childbirth classes on Monday nights and we have 6 classes left including tonight. They are fascinating and our instructor, Coral Slavin, is fabulous. She is engaging and funny and really knows her stuff- she can even make Ryan chuckle during class. Class has recently been focusing on the importance of good nutrition and exercise during pregnancy in order to facilitate the baby's development but also to keep the kiddo long and slim and healthy (long and slim should be easier to deliver than long and chubby). So that is my goal- to get some form of cardiovascular exercise at least 4 times a week. I take an aquanatal swim class on Wednesdays so that counts as one but some weeks I am struggling with the other 3 days. When the weather is good I am more than willing to go for a nice walk outside- but as I am sure all of my Milwaukee buddies can attest to- the weather has not been so good lately. We have a treadmill in the basement, but lately all I can see and smell down there is cat- no matter how frequently Ry cleans the litter boxes or wipes down the floor (crazy pregnancy nose). So... the motivation needs to be found to go outside even when the weather is iffy. Hopefully as summer comes my excuses will be limited since I will not be working full time and I will have more time slots for exercise. The pool down the street also has open swim during the day- which I can't take advantage of now but could during the summer.
My mom is coming to visit us next weekend- so this past weekend Ry and I rearranged the nursery and he put together the crib for the Schmitzel. Now I have to clean out the rest of the bookshelves and repaint them, finish organizing and cleaning out the rest of the office stuff and choose some decoration things. The crib and the dresser are not as close to the same color as I had hoped for or remembered. Ryan keeps telling me that they are fine and they coordinate well- I am hopeful that he is right but am looking forward to my mom coming up next weekend to give me a second opinion- not that there is much we can do about it since all the furniture is assembled and no longer returnable- I just need a couple more people to tell me that it looks nice. I want everything to be so nice for us and for our little man.

No comments:

Post a Comment